Share this post on :
FANTASTIC: PUT THE TONGUE ON THE PALATE AND BREATHE FOR 60 SECONDS: YOU CANNOT BELIEVE WHAT WILL START TO HAPPEN TO YOUR BODY!
There is a simple technique of breathing which can do wonders to your sleep and your health. The 4-7-8 breathing exercise (also known as the Relaxing Breath) can help you fall asleep in just 60 seconds by simply inhaling and exhaling. This amazing method is discovered by Harvard-trained Dr. Andrew Weil who claims that this breathing technique can slow the heartbeat, lower blood pressure and eases the body into a state of calmness and relaxation. The method is based on pranayama, an ancient Indian Yoga practice that means “regulation of breath.”
HERE IS HOW YOU DO THE EXERCISE:
- Place the tip of your tongue against the tissue ridge right above your upper front teeth. Keep it there for the remainder of the exercise.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
- Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of 4.
- Hold your breath for a count of 7.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of 8.
- This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle 3 more times for a total of 4 breaths.
HOW IT WORKS
The 4 7 8 breathing technique basically takes the shallow, oxygen poor breathing you normally do when you are stressed out, and turns it upside down. This has some profound effects on your body and your mind.
Dr. Weil emphasizes the most important part of this process is holding your breath. This is because keeping the breath in for 7 seconds will allow oxygen to fill your lungs and then circulate throughout the body. It is this that produces a relaxing effect in the body. The eight-count exhale slows the heart rate and releases a greater amount of carbon dioxide from the lungs.
Dr Weil suggests practicing the technique twice a day, for six to eight weeks until you’ve mastered it enough to fall asleep in just 60 seconds.